Monday, May 18, 2009

Wood

I have a book that I reference from time to time when I'm in my wood shop. I like it because it was written before I was born and it lays out, step by step, how to build an acoustic guitar with mostly hand tools. It has a lot of good ideas that I like and it's quite large so I always learn something new when I look at it. Nowadays there are tons of luthier supply places that have tools to make the job easier and faster. Sometimes I don't want it to be faster. Building a guitar is special and it should take time and energy. The energy is certainly felt when you pick up a hand made instrument. That being said I do try to streamline my building as to not waste time. There are certain tasks that I have jigs for because they are very time consuming and I do have to make a living. But, when I can, I switch back to a chisel or knife. Slicing a thin layer here and there to get the shape I want is just so rewarding. Plus being able to make a guitar using a hand saw, chisel and knife is freakin' cool. I have a little ways to go before I can do the whole thing with that few tools. One day I'd like to.

Wood is truly an amazing organic material.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nothing like the smell of newly cut wood. Each variety has its own fragrance. It seems to grow on a person, to get into your being, almost becoming a part of you. It's like finding that harmonic resonance within yourself - the one earthly thing that God designed you for. In this world you shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer, for I have given you the wood shop! -Peace.