Sunday, May 3, 2009

Shysters and Posers

During the short time I've been alive I've found, for the most part, that people choose to do the right thing when faced with tough decisions. It seems as though many folks who would never consider themselves to be spiritual seekers or religious tend to do the moral thing and be honest in their daily lives. I'm always reminded of The Brothers Karamazov when this observation arises because there are some themes in the writing that suggest: people have no reason to be moral when god, karma, judgment, etc are absent from their belief system; and if there is no god than there is no one to answer to. But we still have to answer to fellow man. Even without a spiritual belief system a person must deal with humans on a daily basis. Therefore we must treat each other with respect and courtesy. We must be honest and help one another.

But there are some...the shysters, who have no problem ripping of their neighbors and burning bridges with gallons of gasoline. In the end they reside on a isolated island with no friends and no enemies because they are alone; only by their own doing. It makes me a little sad because they can be kind and nice and maybe even looking for redemption. I deal with them regularly in the business I'm in. It seems as though they often try to redeem themselves by doing something unexpected and regular. But once the arrow is released it cannot be taken back, so I keep up a guard.

The posers do much less harm but still make you wonder; what the hell? In this day and age there are so many avenues to find a person and check up on their validity. But more than that, a person's work shows all. If I claim to be a luthier and the guitar I build is a honk of garbage would anyone call me a luthier? Reading Heidi's comment about people lying about their Pilates experience to get into her class made me think of some things I've experienced recently. Hence, the posers section of today's blog.

Then you have the people who manage to be both at once, which is really a bummer.

The redeeming part is that the vast majority of people I deal with on a daily basis are honest and genuine. That being said we are all messed up in some way. We have our issues, our shystiness, and our insecurities. Thankfully someone has redeemed us, loves us and reaches out to us; all we have to do is look for him.

2 comments:

Dirk Hanson said...

WOW Amen Brother

Unknown said...

sblangdoIt is the truth. What a great way of telling it Eugene. I really enjoyed the read.